This is, hands-down, my clients’ favorite recipe. It’s the one I get emails about, the one that in every group weightloss or detox or hormone-balancing or emotional eating program I run, someone says “So-and-so tells me I need to ask for your Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe.” I’ve got several variations of it. This one features goji berries, which help ward off illnesses, are an anti-inflammatory ingredient and support a strong immune system, but this recipes is beautiful and tasty without them. Enjoy!
Smothered Sweet Potatoes
Makes 2 servings
Note: You’ll need to bake the sweet potatoes first, which can take up to 45 minutes if you use your conventional oven.
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed
1 medium tomato, diced
1/2 tablespoon coconut or extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
½ an avocado, diced
2 tablespoons hydrated goji berries
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork in several places, place in a baking dish and bake at until tender all the way to the center, about 1 hour. Or cook in the microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes, or until moderately soft.
2. While the sweet potatoes cook, add beans, tomatoes, oil, cumin, coriander, cilantro, salt and pepper to a medium saucepot over medium heat. Cook for three minutes.
3. Turn off heat and allow bean mixture to cool slightly.
4. When the sweet potatoes are done and have cooled just enough so you can handle them, cut the top of each lengthwise. Pry each sweet potato open and create an indenture in each that is large enough to contain the bean mixture.
5. Divide the black bean mixture between the two potatoes. Top with the avocado, goji berries and seeds.
Want to share a healthy sweet potato recipe? Post below!