Chia For Everyone!
Chia is one of my favorite superfood! While working on The Chia Book (Sterling Publishing), I fell head-over-heels in love with this nutrient-dense seed, learning how to use it with myself, my family, and my clients to help improve joint health, create long-term energy quickly, help lose weight, lower cholesterol, help digestive upsets and improve the immune system.
For those of you who are experiencing listlessness, fatigue, lack of motivation, and just a general case of the blah’s, chia can help. It’s outrageously high omega 3 fatty acid content to help brain function, improve mood, and sharpen mental acuity and focus.
With 20 percent protein and high amounts of strontium, it also gives an easy, steady supply of energy (this is how the Aztecs used it: as a quick energy food for warriors and message-carriers) that works as well for day-to-day use as it is for endurance athletes.
To experience the benefits of chia, may I suggest something sweet and yummy? Something puddingy? It’s called Chia Pudding and it makes a lovely afternoon snack. It’s also a great way to start the day: My kids sometimes have this for breakfast with a green drink.
Makes 2 servings
- 2/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk, almond milk or rice milk or other milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 to 3 teaspoons honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar or other natural sweetener
- Optional 2 tablespoons currants or chopped dried figs or dates or fresh fruit or diced cooked sweet potato
- Optional: 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- Put chia seeds, milk and vanilla in a 1-quart glass jar with a lid. Tighten the lid and shake well to thoroughly combine. Or, stir together seeds, milk, vanilla and optional ingredients in a bowl.
- Allow to thicken for 30 minutes or more. (Or even better: Make it in the evening and let it sit, covered, overnight in the fridge.)
- Adjust liquid if necessary. Spoon into bowls and top with fruit and coconut.
Looking for another easy way to enjoy chia? A way that requires only a couple ingrdients? Go here